Who Is Your Shepherd?
I am headed out of town with my family to speak at a women's retreat for Hope Community Church. They are traveling from their hometown, Cary, NC. We're all taking a road trip to North Myrtle Beach, SC to have some fun and learn about traveling with God and our girlfriends!

I've been reading Max Lucado's book, Traveling Light, this week. It's based on Psalm 23. His main theme is how we need to release the burdens we were never intended to carry. I'll be sharing a message Sunday morning that is based on Psalm 23. In it I share a few traveling tips I have learned along the way in the journey of my heart. Don't you just love how David describes God, our Shepherd? It's like he is trying to convince us that walking with God is like traveling in first class!

Max Lucado writes his own paraphrase of Psalm 23 with a spin that reveals how God's children often live when we aren't walking with Him.

I am my own shepherd. I am always in need.
I stumble and from mall to mall and shrink to shrink,
seeking relief but never finding it.
I creep through the valley of the shadow
of death and fall apart.
I fear everything from pesticides to powerlines,
and I'm starting to act like my mother.
I go down to the weekly staff meeting
and am surrounded by enemies.
I go home and even my goldfish scowls at me.
I anoint my head with extra-strength Tylenol.
My Jack Daniel's runneth over.
Surely misery and misfortune will follow me,
and I will live in self-doubt for the rest of my lonely life.*

Oh, let it not be!!! There was a time in my life when those words pretty closely described my journey. My Jack Daniel's didn't runneth over but my Sun Country coolers did. I look back now and see that I drank to alcohol to numb the pain in my heart because nothing else would make it go away. Not a boyfriend, not accomplishments, not losing weight, not even the new car my mom bought me after I totaled my first one. Nothing!!! It wasn't until I ran into the arms of my Shepherd and let Him fill my heart with His love, acceptance, peace and forgiveness that I felt freedom. It wasn't until I took His hand and chose to trust His heart that I found my way Home.

Well, I better get packed to go. Here is one of my favorite verse that encourages me to walk with God each day.
Blessings, Renee

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:5-6 (The Message)

*pp. 25-26, Traveling Light, by Max Lucado


1 Comments:

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

Renee,
Praying for you as you and your family travel again. Thank you for the reminder to rely each day on our Shepherd who is just waiting for us to come to Him.

Post a Comment

Home