A Promise Kept

In my Encouragement for Today devotion, I shared a story about my son Andrew, and how God used him to help me see what love is.

It's knowing that God cares, He listens, and He will be there for me - no matter what! It's knowing that He wants to spend time with me. That He really likes me. That He's protecting me and that He believes in me.

Jesus' last words were woven into a promise. He said, "... I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20 (NASB)

He said He'd be with us no matter what! No matter what we do or where we go. It's a promise He made and a promise He's kept.

There are so many promises God makes and keeps. One of the most life-changing ways Ive experienced the power of God's promises is to personalize them. Ever since I was a baby Christian, I'd put my name in scripture to help my heart know that God wants to speak directly to me.

I've also seen what a powerful gift this can be for someone else. I did this recently for my husband, and today I am going to give them to him in a keepsake box, (shh, he doesn't know yet). Each day when he opens up the box, he'll be able to reach in and pull out one of God's promises to him, with his name in it. Here are the one's I am including:

“JJ, fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” Isaiah 43:1

“JJ, you are precious and honored in my sight, and I love you.” Isaiah 43:4

“JJ, you are very valuable to Me, see, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.” Isaiah 49:16

"JJ, do not worry. “The LORD will surely comfort (you) and will look with compassion on all (your) ruins; he will make (your) deserts like Eden, (your) wastelands like the garden of the LORD.” Isaiah 51:3

JJ, let Me lead you. I want you to go out in joy and be led forth with peace.” Isaiah 55:1

“JJ, I want to provide for your needs. I want you to trust Me enough to say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.’” Psalm 23:1

“JJ, I want you to rest in My arms. The beloved of the LORD rest secure in Him, for He shields him all day long, and the one the LORD loves rests between His shoulders." Deuteronomy 33:12

“JJ, I will fulfill My purpose for (you); because My love endures forever. I will not abandon the works of My hands.” Psalm 138:8

JJ, I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

“JJ, call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD , "and will bring you back from captivity. Jeremiah 29:12-14a

JJ, come to me, (when you) are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

“JJ, forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18-19

“JJ, I have made known to you the path of life. I will fill you with joy in My presence.” Psalm 16:11

These promises are for you, too. Maybe you could copy and paste this list into a document and replace JJ's name with your name. Then put them in a special place and go to it each morning, asking God to give you the promise He wants you to hold onto that day. Or maybe there is someone you know who needs God's promises personalized for them. It's a gift they will never forget!


25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful way to remember and internalize what God can and will do for you. It's beautiful! And, on a decorative note, can be very pretty for the home.

Blogger sweettea said...

You know, Renee, that is good stuff that you wrote. Maybe it's the long funk I'm in, but what makes me feel loved by the LORD is hearing HIM speak to me. I know HE speaks through HIS Word, but I'm talking about the personal 1-1 voice. It's rarely more that a couple of words here and there, but that's what makes me feel most loved by the LORD. Words aren't my love language, but I think it assures me that HE is indeed there - spending time with me.

JD

Blogger Joyful said...

Oh Renee, what a sweet gift you have given your husband, but also to each one of us.

Praying Proverbs 11:25 for you today that "...(she) who refreshes others may (herself) be refreshed."

Hugs,
Joy

Blogger mary said...

"God's promise made and God's promise kept!" Thank you for being faithful to the Lord. Your list is now being sent to my sister who is suffering from the loss of her husband. After 40 years he just left a note & walked away from her, her 3 children & 6 grandchildren. The list of God's encouragement, will be an encouragement to her. Thanks so much for helping! God's blessings on you & yours!

Blogger Vicky said...

Wonderful devotion! How prone we are to forget that God IS always there, no matter what we are going through! Whether it be sunshine or rain! Praise His Holy Name!

Blogger LeeBird3 said...

This is great Renee....exactly the kind of thing I'm writing about in my book...how to creatively use prayer and the Word of God to give eternally significant gifts.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee,

Thanks for the reminder of all the ways that God shows us that we are loved by Him always. Sometimes we get so far from the cross that we forget that. I need reminding that it's "me" that walks away and that He is always right where I left Him. Always with arms wide open waiting to embrace me with His love.

Blogger Kimberly said...

What a great way to love on your husband!!! :)

And I know I need to stick my name in scripture much more than I do. Thanks for this reminder!

Have a super weekend!
Love,
K :)

Blogger JottinMama said...

What an awesome idea!!!

I think I might do this for my husband this weekend! THANK YOU :)

Blessings to you,
Kate :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a precious gift you are giving your husband. I just want to share about a time not too long ago, that I was desperate for prayer and I believed God put it in my heart to email LeAnn asking for prayer, something I've never done and never would have come up with on my own. I'm so glad I listened to Him, because not only did she return my email with the sweetest, most encouraging words and prayer, I also received the most wonderful surprise in the mail only days later. This sweet woman, who I only met briefly in person one time at last year's 'She Speaks' conference, actually took the time and lovingly made me at least 100 personalized verses to pick up whenever I needed. I had never really read God's Word that way, filling in my own name, but I can't even describe the difference it has made in my heart and in my relationship with Him. I still pick them out randomly to read and they are precious to me. What she did is something I'll never forget. It was such a selfless, thoughtful act of love on her part, especially not really even knowing me. I've done this myself for a few people, passing on this wonderful gift so they can really hear God speaking to them personally, the way He wants them to, so I know your husband will be extremely blessed.

Thank you Renee...you're such a sweet woman of God!

Sarah Drohan

Anonymous Carmen. said...

Renee, thanks a lot for the idea, it comes just in time for my lovely husband.
A hug.
Carmen.

Blogger Sars said...

I cried out to the Lord this morning, weary and desperate, feeling as if I had failed one too many times. Your devotional and blog brought me to tears. He has not abandoned me. My perfect performance is not what tethers him to my side. He loves me.

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Wow. What an awesome thing to do! Your devotion reduced me to humility once again, Renee. I loved it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed this today so badly! All of my life I have been abused in all ways.Physically, mentally, sexually, and spiritually. My father, ex-boyfriends, pastors and preachers have all abused me in some sort of way. I got married 5 years ago and thought that my life was going to change. That my husband was going to love me as he love the church. But it turned out that he has abused me in every way. He just told me that he was going to cheat on me and that he was just using me for sex. I was numb. I continued to talk to the Lord over and over again. I felt his strength holding me. I told my husband that he has truly proven to me that the Lord has strengthen me tremendously because if he would have said that to me a year ago, I would have attempted to take my life, but because of the God's grace, and his love. I am not broken. I walked outside, and told myself over and over again who I was and that I didn't need a man to define me. I got on the site and I read about God's love for me and it gave me hope and let me know that the Lord loves me and that is all that matters. I love this site and I pray that the Lord bless you continually.

Blogger Julie Gillies said...

Hi Renee,

What a great idea. Funny, I've always placed my name (and my family's names) into scripture verses, too. What a unique gift idea, though. I will be using this one! :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are like sooo cool:) has anyone ever told you how cool you are:) i so needed this, Praise God:)

God bless you Sister:)

Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

Love that.

Blogger Mags said...

I appreciate your practical application. Thank you for your heart.

Blogger Unknown said...

I really like your blessing to your spouse! I was thinking how it would be a neat idea to give a box to each of my children, too!

Blessings to you!

I enjoyed reading your blog tonight..This is a whole new world to me. Remember to stop by and sign up for my April giveaway. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog. This was a great post.

Blogger Lelia Chealey said...

Okay Renee...I'm so teary eyed right now! This was awesome! I've done this for myself also and encouraged others to do it, but never have given it as a gift. Thank you for this idea...this is what I will give my kids and sister for Christmas! OH, and my better half. ;)
love,
Lelia

Blogger ConnieH said...

Like so many others, Renee, I just loved this blog. What a special gift for your husband. I think I'll do it for my children, and for myself! Thanks for sharing your idea.

Blogger Kimberly said...

Hey!
Hope your weekend speaking engagement went fabulous! :) Just thinking of you and praying for you...so I thought I would stop in. :)

Hugs,
K

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Renee, I love this idea of printing God's Promises for your husband!

Blessings,
Jodi =]

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have lifted my heart. Thank you.

Post a Comment

Home