Get in the Game
We were on our way to school this morning when I noticed dark clouds in the distance. I told Andrew it looked like it was going to rain today. He said he was glad because that meant they wouldn't have recess outside.

It surprised me that he'd want it to rain. Earlier this year it was just the opposite. He was always so disappointed on rainy days because it meant recess in the gym. But not today. Something had changed. I wondered what had a happened to make him want to have recess inside, so I asked him.

"Because recess outside isn't fun anymore. No one plays football so I don't fit in now. They all play soccer."

Now I was really confused. Andrew loves soccer. I reminded him of what a great player he is. Rehearsing all the things that he can do well - run fast, get the ball out of tight spots. But my inspirational message wasn't working. He was convinced he wasn't good enough and that it would just be another day on the sidelines.

It broke my heart to think of Andrew withdrawing from his friends and letting his insecurities keep him from getting in the game. As he opened the door to get out of the carpool line I looked him in the eyes and said, "Have a great day bud - and get in the game. You are a great player. "

As I drove away I prayed out loud claiming confidence in Christ for my little man. My son who brings laughter and joy wherever he goes - when he's willing to get in the game of life - physically and emotionally. I prayed that God would speak to his heart and remind him of how valuable he is, silencing his doubts and replacing them with truth that he can do all things through Christ who gives him strength and soccer skills. Then a familiar verse came to mind and my heart echoed David's desire but now it was for my son, "Lord, I pray that Andrew would cry out to you for your perspective and you would make him bold and stout hearted. And Lord today if you see me heading to the sidelines because I feel insecure or doubtful about what I have to offer, will you do the same for me, too."

When I called, you answered me;
you made me bold and stouthearted.
Psalm 138: 3


15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. You are so right! You spoke words of life to your son and then proclaimed boldness in Jesus' name on his behalf. I've learned a lot about the power of our words in the past several years and love to hear others share their experiences. God bless you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way that you prayed so specifically for Andrew using scripture. That is one of my goals. I am praying and studying scripture more (hoping that some of the verses will stick in my muddy mind) with the goal of recalling scripture when I need it the most.

Keep up the good work! BTW, glad that you enjoyed the NYC trip. I know that your heart needed the lift.

Blogger Kimberly said...

I needed to hear this myself! I struggle so much with self confidence. I need to just get in the game! And I need to be sure I am praying for my girls to know that they, too, can do all things through Christ!

Blessings, and welcome back from New York!

Blogger RefreshMom said...

It's a wise mom who hears the heart behind the casual comments.

I pray a bold and blessed day for him today, rain or shine.

Blogger Bonita said...

What a great message, Renee! Andrew is so blessed to have a wise, caring mom like you!

Blogger Joyful said...

How easy it is to become a spectator instead of a participant. I have many reasons why I withdraw from the game of life at times and they all seem valid to me :o) We all need a cheerleader like you in our lives who reminds us that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

Can't wait to read how the Lord supplied for Andrew at recess today!

Love & hugs,
Joy

Well, let me tell you.....this post really spoke to MY heart! I am so prone to want to stay on the sidelines because I am afraid I will fail. It's hard for me to get in the game lately more than ever it seems! Thank you so much for this inspiring post Renee!

God bless you!
Marilyn

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Excellent post! Praying he got in the game!

The game is where the action is. Count me in! And I know I don't need to say this, but I think it wise to tend to this shift in your son. It may pass quickly, but in my experience, it rarely does.

peace~elaine

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

Renee: I love this post. I find myself praying more for recess time and relationships than I do for the academic part of school, although that is a prayer point, too. Recess, I'm convinced, can be very character building....and very heart-breaking (for my child and parent). I pray over recess every day. Motherhood keeps us on our knees, doesn't it!?!? God is so smart.

I love your prayer for Andrew...and for yourself, too. Our insecurities and fear of what others think of us can make us head toward the sidelines. May HE keep us in the game...for His purposes and glory!

Great post!

Love, hugs and prayers,
Sharon

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

Thanks Renee, this was something that I needed to hear today as well.

I'm praying for you.

Blessings,
Pearls

Blogger Jill Beran said...

Good words Renee. My son is just starting to show doubt and as I see similarities to my own life it's great to be reminded of how I can pray, not only for him, but me as well. Thank you and pray the game is going well for you!

Blogger Sunny Shell said...

Oh Amen sister!

This is wonderful! I will be looking up that Scripture today and meditating on it as I pray the same things for my boys...yes, I have two sons too, 13 1/2 and one that will be 16 this Sunday!

Oh, I don't know if you do these things are not, but I have a bloggy award for you. I got this from a sweet sister friend and I thought of you! I know we're just getting to know each other and I wanted to express how grateful I am to how the Lord led me to you....for I have been so blessed and encouraged by your faith!

Please stop by my place and pick it up. Here's the link:

I'm Overflowing and I Want To Share

Bless you dear sister,
Sunny

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog. I recently started my own blog after the death of my mom. It's been very beneficial to share our memories with new friends and meet people from all over the country.

Blogger Dawn Ward said...

Oh Renee! I so needed to hear this today! Thank you for sharing, and I pray that Andrew will get back in the game.

God has really been working on me lately concerning Philippians 4:13. I have known this verse for so long, but He has shown me that I haven't ever really believed or trusted it, and that it is time for me to do so.

I have suffered from self-doubt and insecurity my entire life, but over the past several weeks, my new mantra has been, "I CAN do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength." (Not that I'm expecting to leap tall buildings in a single bound or anything like that :->.)Now, I can also add a cry to make me bold and stouthearted.

Thank you again for these words.

Sweet Blessings,
Dawn

Post a Comment

Home