Sometimes I Have to Boss My Heart Around
I caught my heart heading to the pit of discouragement for Spring break last week. It was supposed to go to the beach with the rest of me and my family, but she had snuck some other plans into her itinerary.

I was feeling overwhelmed, discouraged and pulled in a million directions. I'd gotten my hopes up about getting lots of writing done at the beach and just being renewed. Although I did get to spend some sweet time with Jesus and write a little, all kinds of things were going on back at home and in my head to interrupt my grand intentions and usher in disappointment. It was the kind of stuff that can get a hold of your heels and drag you into a pit.

I knew I didn't have to go there. It was not part of God's plans, nor mine. I had a choice but my heart had already packed her bags and was on her way.

So, I had to get bossy with her! In the midst of processing that one of my dearest friends might have ovarian cancer and that it's not possible for me to meet my May 1st book deadline, I had to tell my soul praise the Lord!! Not just a surface-like "say your bedtime prayers" talk to my soul. No, this was a deep down preach it to my inmost being GOD-IS-GOOD no matter what sermon!

I had to boss my discouraged heart with God's truth and pull her away from the pit by reminding her to "forget not all His benefits."

Then I walked her down memory lane... reminding her that He is the One who...

forgives all (my) sins and heals all (my) diseases,

redeems (my) life from the pit

and crowns (me) with love and compassion,

who satisfies my desires with good things

so that my youth is renewed like the eagle's.

(I'm not sure how the young eagle thing plays out in everyday life but it's a promise so I praised Him for it.)

The bottom line was that my soul needed me to remind it of all God's benefits. No matter what the answer would be to Micca's diagnosis, no matter how much writing I didn't get done, or how much our broken air conditioner was going to cost, or how much we owed on taxes, or how delayed my book release may be...

When my heart started remembering all HIS benefits, she backed away from the pit and found another dwelling place - smack dab in the center of living and trusting God's sovereignty over all things.


Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits;


And, on Friday afternoon we found out Micca's cysts were cancer free!!! The doctors said they were very surprised. The scans of her cyst looked cancerous and her symptoms had all pointed towards cancer, plus her cysts (ended up being 2 and one was the size of a small grapefruit) had tentacles and were taking over in there. We fully believe God granted Micca healing and we cannot stop praising and thanking HIM!! Thank you for praying and caring about her with me!!


Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. (Psalm 103)


14 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

I love this! You are a wise woman to boss your heart around! Those hearts...they just can't be trusted!!!! Mine sure can't!

I was actually just praying that very same passage yesterday! One of my favorites!!!

Hope your a/c was fixed...and fixed at a reasonable price!!!

Still rejoicing over Micca's praise!!!
Love, hugs, and prayers,
K

Blogger Jill Beran said...

Well Renee, you did it again - spoke to my heart, think you're bossing it around a bit too!! That is a wonderful thing!! Thanks for sharing your heart with us and allowing God to speak through you - what a blessing for all of us. My prayers for you will continue!
Blessings,
Jill

Blogger B His Girl said...

Well get bossy if you need to! Thankful for Micca's news. Blessings, B

Blogger Unknown said...

Hallelujah for the no cancer diagnosis! Somedays we must choose to "Bless the name of the Most High" even when faced with the storms of life. Rejoice in the Lord!

Blogger Real Time Prayers said...

Thank you so much for this. This is exactly what I needed. Girl I was sitting at my desk here at work and I just wanted to jump up and down and just praise him. Love you Much

Robin Michelle

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

I love this! That's right -- bossing our hearts around -- with His truth! Amen! :) Ain't no better Boss!

Rejoicing with you in Micca's great health report!

Praying for you as you finish writing your book. He is establishing the work of your heart and hands daily, my friend.

Hugs,
Sharon

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

When I get bossy with my heart and start making a list, it usually isn't too long until I can add yet another reason to praise him to it... Like Micca's results!!! Yaaaaay! Praising Him still for the good result!

Praising Him still even though it is looking like I may need radiation.

Just praising Him with you today!

love, lisa

Blogger Tammy said...

I hope your week is getting better.

I pray that you get blessed with more of His benefits this week and get some of the things done you need to get done.

Still Praising the Lord over Micca. It was such a wonderful thing to hear.

Blogger Shanda said...

Rejoicing with you & Micca!

I love the authority you allow yourself to possess in and through Christ Jesus. The concept of "bossing our hearts around..." truly profound.

Blogger Jessica Kirkland said...

Bossing my heart around and just repeating back to God His holy attributes has gotten me out of many a "pit" and discouraging time. What a wonderful weapon of warfare we have in just standing on God's word. The truth always sets us free!

Blogger prashant said...

It was such a wonderful thing to hear.
home jobs india

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would really love to win tickets to the conference this weekend. Greenville, SC is close to my home town of Clinton,SC. My family and I now reside in Charleston,SC but would love to drive up for the opportunity to meet you and Lysa. You both are such an inspiration.
melissa.simpson@cummins.com or rensim11@yahoo.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Arial Oliver I would like to win the scholarship because at the moment I am struggling, I was a back sliding christian who got pregnant and recently I have come back to the Lord and trying to change my life around I'm a 19yr. old student studying to become a Medical Assistant I had to take out student loans just to go to school, I have no job, and I'm taking care of my brother who has heart failure and trying to prepare a blessed future for me and my unborn daughter. After I go to school for Medical Assiting I would like to attend the San Diego Christian College and study ministry. Even if I don't get accepted for this scholarship I would appreciate any prayers concerning my situation. I know I'm not the only one facing hard times so for those that are going through something difficult in life I pray that God delivers you from whatever hardship your going through and replace your tears with happiness and love.

Blogger Kimberly said...

I linked to this post. :) I love, love, love this post. It is just so true. So good! Love you!

K :)

Post a Comment

Home