If it's not that, then what is it?
Thanks for stopping by! We've been in the hospital with JJ since Thanksgiving morning. To find out where this all started, scroll down to Thursday's post. We love reading your comments and prayers. It means so much to hear from family and friends walking this road with us!

Saturday 1:30pm
JJ ate a little bit of solid food for the first time in four days last night. Unfortunately, his intestines were not too happy about it. He started feeling very sick again and got a bad headache for the first time since this all started. His fever jumped back up to 101 and he was up all night going to the bathroom. He wasn't in the mood to eat anything this morning but he was hungry again by lunch time. He just tried to eat some soup for lunch, got a few sips down but then decided his stomach isn't ready afterall.

On the medical side of things, they did x-rays this morning of his abdomen and chest. He was a bit confused since he hadn't heard this was going to happen. The nurse didn't know either, but she found out his lab tests came back indicating he doesn't have c-diff bacteria. The doctor hadn't come by yet to tell him. Later the Dr. confirmed he ordered the x-rays because they don't know what is causing all of this if it's not colitis c diff. The doctor still hadn't seen the x-rays when he came by around lunch time. He is requesting a gastrointerologist come by to look at JJ's records and talk with us.

It feels a little like we're starting over again. But we are very thankful that we're not starting off at the same point - JJ is not in excruciating pain and he's not dehydrated. We are so thankful he's getting fluids and meds to manage his pain and has access to doctors who know what to do. The hospital is not our favorite place for sure, but it's the best place for us to be right now.

Our boys are still out of town with family but coming home tomorrow. I can't wait to see them! I hope we can somehow get them to the hospital even if it's a quick visit.
  • Please pray for the doctors to figure out quickly what JJ has and needs.

  • Please pray protection over his whole digestive tract that's been stripped of good and bad bacteria since he's been on so many anti-biotics for the past 3 weeks. Also, we want him to start on pro-biotics if the doctor will approve that.

  • Please pray for wisdom as we plan our week. I am speaking in FL at a Christmas outreach event on Thursday night. We're also scheduled to drive to SC on Friday for the half-marathon when I get back that afternoon. The race is Saturday Dec 6th, and JJ is so sad he may not get to run at all - after months of intense training.

  • Please pray for us all to have peace that surpasses understanding as we rest in the promise that God is very near, and that we'll commit to not worry about anything, but pray about everything while thanking God for what He's already done. (Phil. 4:5-7)
Saturday 8:30pm
The gastrointestinal doctor came by late this afternoon. He felt like JJ was doing a little better. He didn't have definite answers about what he has, but he think it's some form of colitis and not diverticulitis. He said he wants to do more tests to confirm the negative results of the c diff culture. He thinks it may still be that bacteria and that maybe we got a false negative test. They are also testing for salmonella and other bacteria. He hadn't seen the x-rays yet so we aren't sure if they show anything new.

The more I research the c diff bacteria, the more concerned I become. The gastrointestinal Dr. told us that c difficile is very aggressive, very hard to treat, has high recurrence rates (1/3 people get it again) and that oftentimes it's more intense if it comes back a second time. We will start probiotics and try to build back his good bacteria as soon as he finishes these antibiotics for c diff.

The doctor put JJ on a strict liquid diet again and told him he probably won't be on solids for days. Poor guy has barely eaten today because he now feels nauseas and bloated. The doctor said it's better to be going to the bathroom all the time than not be able to go at all. JJ feels like that may be happening so please pray for his intestines to remain very active!

The doctor also said he thinks the earliest JJ will go home is Monday. This turned out to be a much longer visit than we anticipated but again we are thankful to be here and to be getting such great care!

PS> Thanks to all of you for bringing food, smiles and prayers to us today. We were blessed by all of you in so many ways!!!


18 Comments:

Blogger Chef Diane said...

Renee,
I am so sorry to hear that you are still at the hospital. I have checked back daily with hopes that things were getting better. It is hard when things aren't clear.

Dear Heavenly Father I lift JJ up to you. Lord you know the needs with his physical health. You know the needs for Renee and the decisions that need to be made. Guide and direct them Lord and help every decision honor and uplift you. These things we lift to you, amen.
Blessings,
Diane

Anonymous Anonymous said...

JJ and Renee - You are in our prayers. please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Love you guys,

Rusty & Erin

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee, JJ and boys---Please know that over in the land of cold and snow in Michigan lots of heart-felt and warm prayers are going up for your entire family. We are trusting God to heal your hubby/daddy and bring him back home soon. Renee---remember when you said last spring you thought you just might get the girls near thanksgiving because your calendar was clear?Well....looks like it was to be by your hubby's side instead! Aren't you glad God knows your real schedule and works out all of the details? Let me know what I can do--even from long distance. You are loved!!!! Cyber hugs!!! Karen (for all)

Blogger Amy L Brooke said...

I am bummed to hear that JJ is still in the hospital. I know not knowing what is going on can be a scary and over whelming place to be. I am praying that God will give both of you the peace that passes all understanding and that God will guide the doctors and nurses into knowing how to care for him.

I am praying that your boys will not be worried or scared, that peace will rest on them as well.

I am praying for strength for you and wisdom about speaking engagements and all of that.

Please feel free to call me if there is anything I can do. Mostly, that would probably be prayer, but I would be happy to pray for you over the phone. I'll email you my number.

My sense about the race is that while it may be disappointing, not all is lost. I think it was/is a physical challenge and training, but my sense through it all is that more than the race it was about the two of you spending that time together. And you've gotten to do that . . . .

Amy

Blogger Dawn Ward said...

Hi Renee. I stopped by again to see how JJ was doing. I'm so sorry to hear about the new developments. Please know that I am praying for discernment for the doctors, healing for JJ, and peace and a fullness of God's presence for you all.

Love and Blessings,
Dawn

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Hey, Renee! Bless your hearts! I am so sorry that all of this has happened. I will definitly be lifting y'all up in my prayers.

About the race on Sat.--although he's trained hard, there will be others! I promise. He can't run strong after being so sick. It's not worth it! Been there! Tell him to pick out another one close by--hey, we have one in early January in Greenville, SC that's a half marathon. He would enjoy that! It's cheap too! Let me know if you want the website. It's only an hour and a half away.

Blessings,
Susan
scrunnermom@gmail.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord I pray for JJ today and ask for You to bring him improvements in his health. I pray that You fill his doctors with wisdom so that know how best to treat him. I ask for his digestive system be protected. Lord I pray for Renee and JJ to be filled with peace that is beyond their understanding. Help them to rest in You alone. In Jesus name, Amen.

Blogger Bonita said...

I was going to suggest probiotics. Anyone that uses antibiotics should take them because it's just a vile thing when your bacteria count is depleted or non-existent. Trust me, I know. It also makes you very susceptible to yeast overgrowth in the colon and that's awful. I know about that too. Antibiotics are lifesavers, but they can also do much damage to the natural balance in the digetstive tract.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for JJ. Still praying.

Blogger Unknown said...

Praying for you guys! Please post if there's anything we can do for you guys!

:o)Katie

Blogger Joyful said...

So sorry to hear that JJ is still suffering. Praying that the Dr's will soon be able to diagnose the exact problem so that specific treatment can be given.

The key verse in my reading today was Psalm 118:5, "I called to the Lord in distress; the Lord answered me and put me in a spacious place."

Praying He will answer you and that you will be moving freely in the roomy space of His healing love and grace.

Love, hugs and prayers,
Joy

Blogger B His Girl said...

Renee,
I am praying for you and JJ to have peace and patience as they look for the problem. Lord, we are asking for your wisdom in the diagnosis. You formed JJ. You know what He needs. Thank you Jesus for using the internet for e prayers. We are expecting you Lord to touch this situation. Your touch heals and makes our heart leap with joy! I pray also that JJ would get some rest and you would guide Renee's decisions for all she has to do over the next week.

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

Dear JJ and Renee:

Please know we are praying here in PA. We will pray as you have requested. May His perfect peace fill your hearts. May you see His handprints and faithfulness everywhere you turn. May you see much of His beauty through this beast of a medical situation.

Love you! Hugs and prayers!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, please my girl, remember that you ARE, INDEED, HIGHLY FAVORED. The seeming irony of your last post was not lost on me, or on many of your readers, I trust. But speaking of trust, God Almighty is indeed trusting you with this trial. Oh Renee, to be less highly favored would be a relief sometimes, wouldn't it...?

I will continue to pray for you.... I will pray for wisdom for all concerned.

I know you will run for your man whether he runs with you or not. I know you will. And the thought brings tears to my admiring eyes.

Blogger Kimberly said...

I am still praying for you and your sweet man!

(And please let me say I am sorry about the timing in my asking you for prayer. I had sent you a personal e-mail right before all of this happened. Never would I have asked you for prayer while you were going through so much. So please forgive the timing and know that I am praying for YOU!)

Love and prayers,
K

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee, praying for you. Did the cultures come back negative again?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee,

This STINKS!!! I am so sorry that your man is "down". I will definitely pray for him, you and your boys.

Kim

Blogger Stacey said...

Hi Renee, You have been on my heart this morning and during the midnight hours. Please know you, your husband, your children, the doctors, and nurses are all in my prayers. Rest in knowing The Great Physician is in control. Nothing is a surprise to Him. I am praying you will see His hands wrapped around you and your family this very day. Praying for safe travel for your boys as well. Bless You.

Blogger Allison said...

Oh wow, Renee. I am so sorry to read about JJ's hospital stay! I will definitely be praying for all of you.

Post a Comment

Home