Life Comes at You Fast!
We had a wonderful, tiring and very productive first week in our home. So many boxes unpacked, lots of furniture set up along with beds, desks and bookshelves to store more stuff. We love our new home and very quiet neighborhood - only one other family lives in it so far. We love to sit on our front porch steps and watch the kids play, listen to the birds and even quietly observe some deer in the forest nearby.

The boys favorite thing to do is ride their skateboards and scooters down this little hill in front of our house that ends in a culdesac. It's perfect because no one lives on the street and there's no traffic.

Last Friday night my mom came by to mom came over to celebrate our one week anniversary in our new home. She brought champagne!

We were in the kitchen cleaning up when Joshua came running into the house screaming for us to come out frong because Andrew was hurt. He'd been riding his scooter and jumped over his skateboard with it. According to Joshua, his first words after his crash were "man that was awesome" and then he screamed because his hand was bleeding.

We cleaned him up and put ice on it. It seemed to be badly bruised and cut, but he could move it. He slept that night and we put more ice on it in the morning. On Saturday JJ's brother and family came in town for the long weekend and the kids played all day. It was still swollen, but he seemed okay. Sunday and Monday it was still swollen but he could move all of his fingers and his hand. He even played on the Chick-fil-A playground during our family lunch. It was tender but he kept saying it didn't hurt unless we touched it.

I kept thinking I was overreacting with concern but finally Tuesday after school I insisted we go to urgent care just in case. My friend Kim agreed that it just wasn't looking right.

Well, it's fractured!!!
You should've seen the "bad mommy" looks I got when we told the nurses and doctor it happened Friday night.They put a temporary cast/splint on it and tomorrow he gets a real cast for 4-6 weeks. Just in time for summer. We;re praying that they'll give him one that is waterproof so he can swim and bathe (independently!) I have heard they can do that these days.

I keep thinking about that Nationwide slogan about life coming at you fast, and how they're here to help. Life is surely coming at me fast these days! Well, Nationwide can't help me this week, but thank goodness I know Someone who can!


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter broke her arm at about this same point 2 summers ago...waterproof casts are the best! She was still able to totally participate in all the water stuff.
Glad to hear all is well with the new house!

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

Sorry to hear about Joshua's broken arm. Ouch! I have been there before with having that bad Mommy feeling. We have dealt with a broken foot on our year and a half year old (at the time) and then when he was five he fell off the top bunk bed and completely shattered his spleen. One thing I have learned though with now having a 17 and 14 year old - kids bounce back quickly.

Blessings,
Jodie

P.S. The house looks great!

Blogger Micca said...

Love your new home!!

you know, I could be the adopted daughter you and J.J are looking for????

Okay, I'll settle for the guest room every now and then.

Tell Joshua to hangth thou in there! I broke my arm when I was five.

love you,
Micca

Blogger Joyful said...

I know Someone who can too...and I'm continuing to bring your needs before Him in prayer. I was just reading this morning how God can do more than we can ask or imagine.

Your house looks lovely. So excited for you!
Love & prayers,
Joy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Poor Andrew! Of course the comment from the boys was "Cool" and "He's lucky". Praying for quick healing! Can't wait to "gather" at the house.

Bev

Blogger Unknown said...

OH...since you've given us a picture of your home (which is BEAUTIFUL by the way), you must post pictures of the inside, too! :) :) :)

So sorry to hear about your son's arm, but at least the act that brought him to that point was "totally awesome!"

Prayers and Blessings!
Rebecca

Blogger Amy L Brooke said...

Hope it doesn't hurt too badly!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness my heart goes out to you guys because I can feel your pain (ok, I can't, but my daughter sure can because she is sporting a new cast for the summer as well). I hope your son heals quickly and can get back to normal active "boyhood". We didn't get the option of a waterproof cast even though I begged for it. Instead, it appears we get to get creative with trashbags for the summer. :) p.s. my daughter was roller skating with church friends and I wasn't even there with her...talk about feeling rotten!

Blogger Michelle said...

I am catching up on blogs after traveling last week. Your house is beautiful. I hope Andrew did get a waterproof cast. I can't wait to meet you at She Speaks.

Post a Comment

Home