Monday Musings
This morning as I started a new day and a new week, you were on my mind. I don't know what it's like at your house, but Monday can be a little overwhelming for me. Looking at the week ahead with a calendar crowded by penciled in deadlines and appointments, my attention darts from one thing to another. Mondays have a tendency to convince me I have A.D.D.

Let me add that to my calendar: call Dr. about possible need for A.D.D. medication.

My heart knows it's time to settle down with Jesus. I ask Him to gather up my thoughts. Narrow my focus, centering my attention on Him and what He has for me today. Immediately I am reminded of wise advice from Jesus' friend Matthew:

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Matthew 6:34 (MSG)

One thing at a time. I hear the Holy Spirit whisper. "Renee, Renee, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed."(Luke 10:42) Entangled by my many things, yet I know I have a choice. I can choose like Mary - the One thing that will not be taken away.

I can choose like Mary, to set aside my list,
so I can listen to Jesus.

I can choose like Mary, to surrendered my "to-dos"
so I have time to just "be."

I can choose like Mary, to worship instead of worry.

So in this moment, I choose. I choose my One thing. I choose to sit with Jesus. I chose to give my entire attention to Him. It's one thing that cannot be taken away...unless I give it away to worries and whims.

Jesus, I choose You. Thank You that what I gain in Your presence and through Your perspective cannot be taken away. I give my entire attention to what you are doing right now. Watching over me, listening to my heart, caring for my concerns while also ruling the world. Bringing salvation to those who seek You. Healing. Loving. Leading. Orchestrating the coming and going of oceans tides; the rising of the sun and setting of the moon. Knowing my coming and my going, as well.

I trust Your sovereignty over my activity. I worship (focus on and am fully devoted to) You and You alone. Although I'm tempted to rush into my day and get a lot done, I lay my plans before you and ask for Yours. Although I have a long list of appointments to schedule and calls to make, I will be still and know that You are God.

Help me Holy Spirit to not get worked up about the limits of my time. I'm so thankful Your mercy is new every morning and great is Your faithfulness. You have apportioned me with the exact grace and time I need to do what You assigned for me this day. Tomorrow brings it's own concerns but also more space and time. Help me to love and live well in the moments you have made for me this Monday. In Your powerful Name I pray, Amen.


11 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now..."

"Help me Holy Spirit to not get worked up about the limits of my time."

Because I almost got in a tizzy about this very thing a few seconds ago and so I sat down at my table to spend a few minutes with Jesus and He met me here. With you. xoxoxo

Blogger JottinMama said...

All I can say is that I needed this reminder today.

Thank you so much.

Have a wonderful, peace-filled week :)

Blessings,
Kate

Blogger Joyful said...

"and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Matthew 6:34 (MSG)

OK sweet friend...just what I needed to hear! Strength comes at the moment it is required.

Trusting Him,
Joy

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

While I appreciate Mondays because they offer us a new week and fresh starts, they can be overwhelming! Our house is completely unsettled right now as we have a handy man fixing things in every room. I am SO thankful for all that is being done, yet not one room of my house is "in order". It really requires the Holy Spirit in me to not get overwhelmed. Asking HIM to keep my heart thankful, thankful, thankful.

Hugs,
Sharon

Blogger Kimberly said...

:) Such a perfect post for me, too.

Oh, how I need the reminder of Matthew 6:34. And I so love it in the Message as you have shared here.

And I love the tender truths tucked into your prayer...about how He watches over us, listens to us, takes care of us, all while ruling the world! And then your prayer to not get worked up about the limits of your time...so speaks to my heart as I have just started a part-time job and the limits of my time are very much on my mind.

So glad you had time to write. :)
Hugs to you, sweet friend,
K

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great prayer! I need to say it every day.

Blogger Jill Beran said...

I read this yesterday but was pulled away before I had time to comment. Anyway just days ago we read this story and I shared with my family bits of your talk from She Speaks '09. The "Joshua, Joshua" the older kids could relate, but this morning I was the one hearing, "Jill, Jill" - oh yes, I was stressing about the wrong things and the day hadn't even begun. So thankful He was so quick to speak truth into my heart and draw me back into His light. Thanks for sharing Renee!

Blogger Our Girls said...

What a beautiful reflection you posted! It's by God's grace we can get through each day! Thank you very much!
Have a blessed week!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing that when I 'settle down with Jesus' how my whole being is transformed. Thanks, Renee, for reminding me to 'choose like Mary' and turn my heart to Him first.
Blessings, Sharon Telfer

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing about your morning!

Your Monday was my Tuesday(today). I ended up reading your post today on my lunch hour, instead of yesterday when you sent it. I think that it must have been God's timing, because I sure was overwhelmed by the mountain of work that kept piling up for me at work. This helped me to slow down my anxious thoughts and depend on God to help me (which He did), and to trust Him with the details.

Bless you!
Connie~Winnipeg

Blogger Renee Swope said...

So glad it encouraged you guys too. God must have known we were all in the same boat. I think that
s why He put you on my hearts and gave me time to share with you what He was showing me. I've come back to read the prayer each day and it's helped me all weekend.

Praying for you by name this afternoon (Weds) ~Renee

Post a Comment

Home