Worry, worship and a new GPS system
Today is one of those days where the number of things I need to get done is much greater than the number of hours in my day. This morning when I woke up, I knew I had a choice - worry or worship. I didn't want to worry about the hows and whens. I wanted to be able to focus on one thing at a time and find peace and joy in the midst of it all.

The only way I can do that is by taking my worries and letting them catapult me into worship - by focusing on Jesus and WHO He is, rather that on my tasks, who I think I need to be or what I need to get done.

I laid in in bed before my alarm went off rehearsing in my mind who Jesus is. I thought about what I needed and then thanked HIM specifically for being those very things: able, loving, kind, wise, discerning, full of grace and truth, all-knowing, caring, compassionate, and the list went on and on... until HIS peace came over me. A peace that comes when I position my heart to worship instead of worry.

A few minutes ago, I opened my inbox to read my P31 devotion and it couldn't have been more perfect timing for what my heart needs to remember today. I need "God's Positioning System" found through prayer to guide and guard my heart through out my day.

*****************************************************

Heavenly GPS, by T. Suzanne Eller

"After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone." Matthew 14:23 (NLT)

It was a drama-packed day. Jesus' cousin, John the Baptist, was dead because a drunken king chopped off his head. Jesus tried to get away to deal with the news, but crowds of people called his name.

Heal me! Feed me!

He healed the sick. He fed over 5,000 people with a few fish and loaves of bread. These miracles caused the crowd to press in closer, to shout louder and to demand more from Him. It also caused conflict.

He's our new king!
No; he's dangerous; kill him!

Sometimes life gets complex. Many times we just keep on going even though we are pulled between the demands of the people we love – Feed me! Love me! – with those feelings festering just under the surface.

But what happens when you arrive at ground zero emotionally because of loss or pain or fatigue?
What did Jesus do? When His day was finally done, Jesus hiked into the mountains to pray. He needed strength. He needed guidance. He needed to be refreshed spiritually and physically. Jesus settled in to talk to His father.

I'll be honest. When I'm at that place, the temptation is to wrap up in my favorite blanket, turn on a mindless TV show, and veg.

But what waits for me in that alone place with God?

He knows us better than anyone else. He's willing to carry our burdens, soothe our hearts, and that prayer time becomes a shelter, an oasis where we are revived. At that point it's not about the time we spend, or even the words that we say, but what we discover when we settle in.
Prayer becomes our heavenly GPS system.

An earthly GPS system contains atomic clocks that are accurate to a billionth of a second! No matter where you are, it can find your location and give you direction.

Think about this: The God of the Universe is greater than any earthly GPS. God knows where you are, where you are headed emotionally, and how to recalculate so that you can find your way back to sanity, peace, and even to joy.

Dear Jesus, You know what it is to be emotionally and physically spent. You know what it is to hurt, to grieve, to long for quiet and peace and healing. Thank You that You understand how I feel, and that You carry my burden when it's too big for me to carry alone. I adore You. In Your Name, Amen.

© 2010 by T. Suzanne Eller. All rights reserved.

For more application steps, reflections and power verses from Suzie's devo, click here.

Related Resources:
The Woman I Am Becoming by T. Suzanne Eller

Visit Suzie’s blog today for a giveaway


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The devotional for today is exactly what I needed to read also! Yesterday, I felt so overwhelmed, but a prayer last night before bed certainly blessed me with a positive start for today! ^___^

Blogger Rachel Beran said...

Thank you for this, Renee. I soooo needed it! I choose to worship instead of worry today. :)

Blogger Jekka said...

This devotion and her blog spoke to me as well today. In addition, I was moved by all of the needs left in her comments. Our God is a mighty God and He is always there. What a wonderful thought that is, to know that we are never alone.

Blessings

Blogger Unknown said...

I had already read the P31 devotional and agree it was excellent! I am so guilty of worry! Why can't I learn to get into the habit of "going to my quite place" and turning it over to God? I know with prayer and studying God's word that one day that "peace" as you call it will come over me also! Thank you for all your inspirations and all you do to make a difference in my life.

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

i choose worship. thank you for your sweet prayers. much love to you, renee. lisa

Blogger Danielle said...

Renee, thank you so much for this post! Worship instead of worry. I like that!

Blogger Pat said...

Hi Friend. I PROMISE I didn't copy your blog topic. As usual we are on the same brain waves!! Just came over to visit and wanted to send you a cyber hug!!!
oxox
p

Blogger Unknown said...

GOD bless you for being obedient to the Lord and for helping me see that I need to do this DAILY...I am worn out from not enough work and this message is a Blessing! I will be concentrating on Who God is and what HE has done for me and know that HE will take great care of me...I Love you and thank GOD for you!! Be Blessed as you have blessed others.

Post a Comment

Home