The Power of Praise
Don't you just love how David and the other Psalmists prayed? They were honest about their feelings, with themselves and with God. They told God what they were struggling with, even when it wasn't pretty! They knew how to pour out their hearts to Him (Ps 62:8). But one thing I've noticed is that often they praised God first, and then they opened up their hearts and their mouths to express their emotions and distressed thoughts, even complaining at times. Afterwards, they went on to praise God again despite their troubles.

Praise is another key element to releasing God’s power in our prayers. God’s Word tells us that He “inhabits the praise of His people.” I have experienced God's presence in a powerful way as I worship Him in prayer (through praise) by focusing on and thanking Him for who He is. Although I know it, I need to be reminded of it again and again. It's completely changes my perspective in prayer.

One way that I've experienced the power of praise is by praying scriptures of praise penned in God's Word. I've also enjoyed praying God's Word woven together through devotions in a little book (31 Days of Praise) that was given to me in November 2000. I wanted to share with you one of my favorite devotions from it and lead us in a prayer together. Will you pray this with me?

My heart rejoices in You, Lord, for You are my strong shelter in times of trouble and danger and stress, my hiding place to whom I may continually resort…My Father who lovingly provides for me…my Shepherd who guides and protects me…my Champion who upholds my cause as His child and defends my highest interests…my Bridegroom who delights in me…my God who is mighty to save, who rests in His love for me and rejoices over me with singing, with shouts of joy. You are my inheritance, my share in life, the One who satisfies my longing soul and fills my hungry soul with goodness.

I praise You for Your love and Your wisdom. You are too wise to ever make a mistake, too loving to ever do anything unkind. You act on my behalf, accomplishing what concerns me and fulfilling Your purpose for me as I call on You. Thank You that You love me deeply and tenderly. You are compassionate and gracious, full of loving kindness, ready to forgive, patiently considerate, and generous beyond imagining. You desire my love and rejoice to do good things for me. You delight to give me the desires of my heart as I delight myself in you. How precious is Your love to me O God! I sing for joy as I take refuge in the shadow of Your wings!

Paragraph 1: Ps 27:5, Ps 71:3, Ps 91:1-2, Matt 6:25-26, Ps 23:1-3, Is 62:5b, Zeph 3:17-18, Ps 16:5-6, Ps 107:9.

Paragraph 2: Ps 57:2, Ps 138:8, Ps 86:5, Ps 103:8, Matt 22:37, Jer 32:41, Ps 37:4, Ps 36:7, Ps 63:7.

(From “31 Days of Praise” by Ruth Myers © 1994, Multnomah Publishers pg. 42-43)

I love reading your prayers and your praises friends. They are so powerful. I just love the verses God has given each of you. I can't imagine how much He must delight in how we're seeking Him with one an one another and for one another!



10 Comments:

Blogger Chef Diane said...

Renee,
I feel the Lord just speaking to me these past few days. Especially about inner beauty, praise in the storm and fixing my eyes on him.
I believe getting assaulted in 2001 and having to go through 11 surgeries has been the best thing in my life. I am so not the person I was before I was assaulted. My marriage of 22 years is over and yet I am calm in the storm.
The last few weeks, I have had so many God hugs. God is Awesome!
In all things I praise him,
Diane

Blogger Joyful said...

Thanks for sharing this devotional. WOW! WOW! WOW!

Filled with praise,
Joy

Blogger Unknown said...

Renee:

I could barely get through it for crying. How wonderful! I need to get that book. Thank you, thank you for sharing that today! I appreciate yuor ministry to us.

In Christ,
Mari

Blogger Heather Conrad said...

I ditto Mari. Tears are running down my cheeks. I am overwhelmed. His presence completes me in a way I've never know, never seen, never felt, never heard - he is my all. All I want is you...Jesus.

Blogger Sarah said...

Dear Renee,
I've been reading "The Purpose Driven Life" and this was exactly what I was reading about yesterday. God must really be trying to tell us all something! God has been working in my heart on this subject for a while now and I am so grateful He has...it has made such a difference in every way when I approach Him in this way, the way He deserves to be approached.

I was just about to type this sentence and happened to look to my left, reading Diane's comment, especially the part about her marriage being over and yet she is calm in the storm and how her being assaulted has been the best thing in her life. My marriage is not over, but oh it came so close. Still, I have said the same thing she has said, all by the grace of God, it has definitely been the best thing, in a sense, that ever could have happened for so many reasons.
I was actually about to ask for prayer for my dearest, most best friend. Her name is Nikki. She just very recently found out that the father of her children of ten years (they never did get married) has been cheating on her since for the entire ten years, and still is. This has never been a good situation, and it's only gotten worse. My heart breaks for her, but also for her sweet children. She is at such a crossroads right now and she is scared to death. She has been used to depending on this guy in so many ways for so long now. She stays at home with her children, so he has always been the financial provider. Everything is basically his and he doesn't hesitate to let her know that.
There's so much more to this, but of course I can't write it all. But please, could you Renee, and anyone else who might come across this pray intensely for her and these children? I know God has been trying for so long now to bring her heart to full dependence and trust in Him. She is His child, which I'm so thankful for. I would appreciate more than anything,anyone taking the time to pray for her and her family. She needs some major strength right now, and thankfully, we know God's grace will be sufficient for her, for His power is made perfect in weakness, so when she is weak, it is then she'll be strong!
Thank you so much Renee, just for being you and always sharing your sweet, honest heart with all of us the way you do.

p.s. I wish I could explain to you how much your words meant to me Saturday night at this recent "She Speaks"! on "Beyond The Shadow of Doubt". They made all the difference in the world to me that weekend and are still having an effect on me now. You are such a special, beautiful, unique person, Renee!
In His Wonderful Love,
Sarah

Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, I have to get this devotional! I love praising God especially with His own word! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca

p.s. Renee, I'm really loving your past few posts. I very much enjoy your teaching/sharing style.

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Hey, Renee!
I loved this post! It will bless all of us who read it--thank you! I definitely want to get a copy of this book as well.

Thank you for your love for Him that shines through your blog :).

Love ya,
Susan

Blogger MrsProverbs31 said...

I love praising God through prayer. Someone taught me that when we praise God, we magnify Him and make our problems shrink. Great if the Lord and worthy of all our praises.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee,
Thank you so much for sharing the post about praying through scripture for someone. It was a good reminder for me. God started me on that a while ago, and I let it slip some.

Today, God just impressed on me to pray for my counselor, but I didn't know what to pray. All I knew was that I needed to pray for encouragement for her heart... I spent time in prayer, and even wrote a post asking others to pray, and ended my post with a prayer for her, praying right through some scripture, specifically putting her name into it.
I don't know if she will ever read my post (sometimes she reads my blog) but I do know that God will honor my prayers for her, and those that pray along with me as I asked in my post.

Thank you so much for your recent posts. The power of prayer is so amazing, and so taken forgranted by many (including myself!!!)
God bless,
Heather

Blogger Paula V said...

Beth Moore teachings on praying God's Word. I'm trying to do that. I've always felt guilty and convicted to go to God with my petitions without first praising Him for who He is and then thanking Him for what He's done. I know He is not a stern God and He graciously hears my petitions even if they are not preceeded with praise. However, my own heart desires to try to follow the ACTS when I can: adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication.

I may have to pick up this 31 Days of Praise devo to help jump start and better accentuate my adoration/praise portion of praying. I feel my praises are so generic.
Love,
Paula

Post a Comment

Home