Helping Your Child See God in Everyday Life

These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Today I want you to meet another D6 mom, Van Walton. She’s one of my friends and P31 teammates. Van has two sons: one in college and one married, who’s also attending grad school. I’ve always seen Van as a mentor mom – she’s so good at it. She is also great at recognizing and capturing D6 stories with her kids (teaching spiritual truths in everyday life lessons). Here is how she started becoming a D6 mom years ago:

“I touch it.”

My little boy planted the palm of his hand on the window, longing to reach out from the airplane floating over fluffy clouds.

With each trip through the sky my little guy became more intrigued with clouds. I had introduced him to them from earth, but here he had an up-close-and-personal glimpse. He wanted to touch them. On another trip he struggled to understand how they could be seen but not touched. Next trip, he asked me to explain how they could be seen, yet they wouldn’t hold us if we tried bouncing on them.

Teaching our children about God is like introducing them to clouds. How do you explain something that is visible but not tangible? Even more challenging, how do you introduce a child to an invisible God who is real and can be seen, if you know where to find him?

I remember one of my first D6 moments with my boys. It was soon after the day they were given their first crayons. They scribbled in delight filling pages with lines, shapes, and strange markings. Like any mother I happily displayed their work.

One day as we drove into the sunset, I pointed out the windshield and announced, “Look boys. God has been coloring too.”

They squealed with delight. They couldn’t wait to go home and paint a picture to show Him. Even though they had heard me pray and refer to God from infancy, they now understood my talk. Seeing the work of God’s hands, they related. From then on I brought God into our everyday life, asking Him to inspire me. And God has been faithful!

One windy day He helped me introduce my son, Aaron, to the Holy Spirit. Fanning his face so he could feel the movement of air, I instructed, “God is like the wind. You can’t see Him, but you can feel and experience the result of his presence.” Months later a little breeze blew in. Aaron wondered aloud, “Has God come to play?”

Another day, my younger son Benjamin begged for a puppy. I relented and, while bathing the filthy-brought-home-from-the-shelter stray, God proved faithful again as He nudged my heart to tell my son how bathing the dog was like Baptism – he would be made clean.

Together we learned from a lost and lonely doggie, how obedience and dependence on a Master, especially when He calls us to follow, has the power to turn a life of captivity into one of freedom.

Clouds, wind, puppies…God’s nature and character is everywhere. Showing our children how to find Him in the midst of each day is a mother’s greatest privilege and joy, especially when it leads them to finding God on their own.

I love hearing how other moms live out Deuteronomy 6 – and show us how to teach our children about God as we do life with them and Him each day. Later this week I’ll be sharing more about taking this to the next level with older children. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts and stories!

*****************************************************************************

Today's Mom Give-Away

Today I'll be giving away Van's amazing children's story From the Pound to the Palace in book form and on DVD (starring my son, Andrew, as the voice of a puppy, along with Josh and I as the voices of a boy and his mom). If you win and have older children who've grown out of children's stories, I"ll substitute a mom book you'd enjoy. I'll also be giving a very cute D6 mom shirt and two more tickets to give for the SOLD OUT event - Girls Nite Out in Houston!

To be part of today's give-aways, click on the words "comments" below this post. Be sure to let me know what City and State you are in. PLEASE include your email in your comment so we can get in touch if you win!

For more mom encouragement, visit Van’s blog or to introduce your child to Air, the dog in real life - visit his site here.

We'll be giving away gifts every day, so be sure to come back for more mom encouragement and resources from D6 and Proverbs 31 Ministries!


33 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Those are great D6 moments! I have 2 small boys and am an animal lover myself (we have 2 cats and a dog). The story of relating baptism to the dog's bath is an awesome idea. I'll have to use that the next time I'm scrubbing down the dog. Thanks!
megan.nussbaum@gmail.com

Blogger Wrinkled Shirts said...

I'm enjoying this reading so much! Thanks.

I just got an email from Sandy saying she heard from you and GNO is sold out. WOOHOO! We are so excited.

Paula G. <><

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I have enjoyed watching the D6 videos that you have posted.
This book is great! I teach preschool and they would love it!
Rachel in ohio
racheltemple@cinci.rr.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed how Van connected God's qualities/handiwork with her boy's everyday play (ie. coloring---God's sunset; wind--God's Holy Spirit) This gives me some great practical ideas for teaching my own young children ages 5 and under. Thank you!
Miriam
MMERoth@aol.com

Blogger Jill Beran said...

Thanks again for the stories. Makes me think about what we are doing with our kids and how we can create more D6 moments. The first thing that came to mind for me was our nightly walks to our neighbor's pond. Last summer my 5 and 3 year old loved throwing rocks in and watching the waves! One night it led to a discussion about how our lives can affect others and when we live for Christ, we will make waves - ones we pray will bless others. Something I would have never expected, but God used it as they still bring it up from time to time.
Blessings,
Jill
jillberan@yahoo.com

Blogger Crystal said...

I just found you blog through a link, from a link, from a link. I love it when God says, "Click here." What comes to my mind immediately is the D6 moment that I missed when my son opened a bag of microwave popcorn and put all the kernels in the microwave and watched them explode and jump around the microwave. That's one of those times that I'd love to have back and explain to him that we are like those kernels. When we accept Jesus into our hearts, we explode into something wonderful and if we use our gifts that God gave us, like the popcorn, we can bring joy to those around us.

Thank you for showing me how important it is to look for those moments everywhere.

Crystal in Florida
mom2navybrats@bellsouth.net

Blogger Joyful said...

I loved the line, "Has God come to play?" The sweet innocence of a child.

This past Sunday while 'mothering others' in the 3 year old room at church, I was trying to help them understand the concept that even though we can't see God, He is with us all the time. I had the children all close their eyes tight and then I asked them if I was still in the room? Of course they answered 'yes'. I asked them, since they couldn't see me, how did they know I was there? They said they heard me speaking. They said they knew I wouldn't leave them. I explained to them that even though they couldn't see God that He is with them...that He can speak to their hearts and help them make good decisions....that He will never will them.

It's great to be reading so many ideas here. There are a lot of great mom's out there training a lot of great kids for God's Kingdom.

Have a great day,
Joy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time over. I love your D6 idea! I am raising my 5 year old grandson and I am always looking for new ways to show him how awesome (one of his favorite words) our God is. I'm sooo glad I came over. I will be back. The idea of a Girls Nite Out makes my heart flutter but I could never make it. I would however be delighted to win the book and DVD.

Thanks! danawade@hotmail.com
Zalma, MO

Blogger Momma Shoe said...

Loved the post today! What wonderful examples of using the everyday moments to reach into little hearts and plant that seed of faith. That DVD sounds so good! What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing with us. This blog has been a daily blessing for me! I've been encouraged so much each day that I've shared the site with many of my friends! It's too good to keep to myself--I know so many other moms who need the encouragement, too! Thanks again!

nikki.shoemaker@gmail.com
Columbus, Ohio

Blogger Wendi said...

Amazing! Can Van come live with me and help me find those D6 moments? I can't wait to hear about how to have a D6 moment with a teenager. I'd be happy to hear how to get your teenager to say more than 10 words. :)

- Wendi
College Station, TX (near Houston)
wendio@suddenlink.net

Blogger MrsProverbs31 said...

Renee, thanks for such a practical way of teaching our children. I know you didn't write today's tips, but because you asked Van. And, yes, I just came from her blog. Beautiful. She's so practical. She made sharing Jesus with my children easier than I thought. I am so glad to have found your blog last year. You are a blessing in my life.

Blogger Tammy said...

Oh wow! What a blessing to come across your & Van's blogs today through the P31 devotion. I have 2 small boys (2 1/2 & 1) and these "D6" ideas are such an inspiration to me. Thank you! We're "animal people" as well (I even worked at a zoo), so I will be sure to buy this DVD if we don't win it!

Tammy
tammyh78@gmail.com
Houston, TX (see... girls night out would work great for me!) ;)

Blogger RefreshMom said...

Those are great examples. I try to do the same kinds of things with my kids. Last week I blogged an idea to use playdough to explain God as Creator and each person as His unique and prized creation. Kids do respond well to 'object lessons' like these. I like that it gives them the chance to share those thoughts with friends and classmates too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My children are a little older (11 and 10) and I'm not sure if this qualifies as a D6 moment. However, last spring, my son had a boy on his baseball team who had 2 moms and no dad. My children had lots of questions so my husband and I told them what the bible says about same sex couples. I also explained that while we know that God doesn't approve of their decision, He still loves them. I also said that God still loves us when we make poor decisions too.

Please enter me in the GNO drawing! (Houston is easily in driving distance from Dallas!)

Lori J, lj75189@yahoo.com

Blogger Casey S. said...

I love all of these D6 moments that are being shared. Thanks for doing this series. I'm truly enjoying them.
Thank you.

cswartz12@msn.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I think that motherhood is the most important job we have. I have enjoyed reading the posts and feel that God has placed it on my heart that in 2009 I am to just "be" To grow deep in him and grow my family. To teach them character, morals, values and the love of Christ!! Not to worry about other families and what they are doing but to keep my eyes on my own paper and to focus on my family. They are my responsibility. Thanks so much for your encouragement and honesty. Boy, it would be fun to go to the Moms night out. Refill my juice box with a friend, one who also needs her soul refreshed!

Blessings,
Tricia in Ky tdc13@fuse.net

Blogger April :) said...

I am really glad to learn of the D6 website and learn more about the SPLINK. I am feeling more encouraged today and excited to know some direction for helping my kids.

I would like to be included in the drawing...
jasapril98@yahoo.com
Weatherford, TX

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing ways to teach our children about the Lord. There are so many opportunities to teach them each day!

jackiedge@hotmail.com
Jacki
Bolivar,MO

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful stories! (You know I'm going to piggyback off of those.) That's exactly what I need - my daughter is almost four and she loves all of her Bible stories and songs but I'm not sure how 'real' it is to her yet. I love the correlations to her everyday life!

lehrerin@charter.net

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to have a copy of Van's book. I struggle with ways to bring God's word to my two girls in ways they can understand - especially my 4 year old. She adores puppies and picture books. This would be perfect.
bagmic@aol.com

Blogger Shannon said...

Thanks for the continued encouragement, as I am trying to be more intentional with my kiddos! We have five ages 10-17...and will soon be adding more though foster care adoption. So I need much encouragement!

Thanks!
Shannon
smarklow@gmail.com

Blogger GodsOwn/Bernice said...

I learn so much from this special month serie..
God know why He direct me to your blog

I like to be part in your drawing
Bernice
jaden4982001@gmail.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the D6 stories. After reading for the past few weeks I am definitely inspired to talk about God in everyday life and situations to my sons. Thanks again.

JD at jdav7@aol.com

Blogger Angela said...

I'm so encouraged to learn about the D6 web site. Reading others' stories/ideas has been refreshing to my heart! Thanks!

Angela, Rochester, MN
angelajohnson107@hotmail.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a mom of 4 and a preschool teacher, I am just loving these D6 stories. Thank you!

alichiawhitehead@hotmail.com
McKinney, Texas

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the encouraging words. I have always heard the Proverbs 31 on K-Love but just recently started to visit the website. Wow! So much good information.

LD in WV

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for those encouraging ideas today on sharing with my 3 kids ages 8,5 & 2 on how God is everywhere. I've been struggling on how to share with my kids how God is all around us. I believe God directed me here and plan to visit as much as I can. Thanks!
Anna
bananamartin@cox.net

Blogger dt said...

I would love to be entered in the chance to have Van's book. My email is dterrell@uapd.ua.edu. Thanks!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been very blessed by the stories shared on this site. Today's story has certainly hit home - no one is a perfect parent and we should seek to help each other. Please pray for my son, Brandon, I need God to do a total transformation in his life. Brandon is 10 years old and if he does not change his attitude in school the end result will be bad. Thank you in advance for your prayers.

Andrea
annven35@yahoo.com

Blogger Susan said...

I just found you and am enjoying it all. You are a great encouragement to me at a time when I really need it. I have 5 children and am raising a grandchild. I can share much of your wisdom with the little ones I come in contact with at church, home and school. Thank you and God Bless You Susan

Blogger Kelly said...

I would love so much to go to the GNO!!! If I'm not too late, please enter me. I'm in Richmond, VA

Thank you Renee!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great D6 ideas. I have a 16 mth old son and a baby on the way. He is still little but very smart. Before every meal I tell him that we are going to pray. He puts his hands together, lays his head on his highchair tray and says his prayer while I say mine. I can't understand anything that he is saying but is so cute that he understanding this concept so early in life.
terrillsarah@yahoo.com

Blogger Happy Four said...

What wonderful examples of bringing Jesus in to our every day events and happenings. I have two boys myself and this post is a real encouragement to me.

Blessings,

Caroline
thegrossmans(at)carolina(dot)rr(dot)com
City: Charlotte

Post a Comment

Home