Crazy...that's how my kids will remember me!
I had been trying to connect with Andrew's teacher to give her a thank you gift and a wedding gift since the last day of school. I went by her classroom two times during work days the week after school, and just missed her. We'd played email tag a few times this summer and again we kept missing each other.

In the meantime, I've had these two beautiful boxes wrapped in foiled blue and brown wedding paper with swirls and iridescent bows sitting in my van. I saw them every day. They would ride with me everywhere. Sometimes I'd see them in the foyer, other times on the counter in the laundry room, when JJ brought them in. Every time I saw them, I put them back in the van and thought, "I' ve got to get these gifts to Ms. Currin."

I was getting desperate! Her wedding is next month. I knew she'd be moving back to her home town. So, last weekend I decided I WAS GOING TO FIND HER. After more phone and email tag we made plans for me to go by her apartment Sunday, her last day here, while they were loading the moving truck. She gave me directions to her apartment building and said to call her when we got there so she could meet us at the car.

I was so happy to finally be delivering "the packages." However, when we drove up to her building I realized I had not written her phone number on my little sticky note. I couldn't call her. I didn't have her apartment number either, because I was just going to call her. I had no idea what door to go to and no moving van was in site.

We parked in front of a double sided, three story building with four apartments on each floor. I counted in my head - 24 doors to choose from!

So, what's a desperate gift-giver to do? Get your husband, your two sons and their friend (10, 10 and 13) to get out in the 100 degree heat and go door-to-door in search of the teacher while you drive the air conditioned van back and forth in case she comes out of a different building.

The boys weren't too happy about it. My husband thought I'd lost my mind, but he also knew I was having my monthly hormonal brainwash, accompanied by a mini-migraine, and it would be dangerous to question my brilliant plan. (Yes, I'm married to a saint!)

Well, the guys couldn't find her! So, I got out and started knocking myself. Still no luck. Should we just give up and go home with "the packages"?

Nooo!!! I decided we should search the parking lot for cars that looked looked like they could be hers - ie. had contents resembling the belongings of a 4th grade teacher who is getting married. I just knew we'd found hers when we passed an old paneled station wagon full of "moving-out stuff." Although it was totally not a cool car and she is a cool teacher. Now, I don't know why I thought this super sleuth plan would help us. What was I going to do - write her license plate down and call the police to get her address?

Eventually, I admitted my plan was a bust and we went home, where I found her number on my caller id. We finally connected. She said they'd gone to get lunch and she didn't have my cell number. I have never had so much trouble giving something to someone!

The next day I was in the car with my boys when they started telling me how crazy I am and how embarrassed they were that I would make them go knocking on people's doors - with their friend. They told me that at one point he said, "I'm not doing this. I'm goin' back to the car." Now this friend comes from a classy family. They live on a golf course and I am sure his parents would never do something like that! I could only imagine the story he'd told his parents when he got home.

My boys wouldn't let up! They described each scene with details of me peeking into cars and acting like a hillbilly! "Mom, you were actually looking into peoples cars and describing what you saw - that is weird mom!" Suddenly I could "see" how crazy we looked. But at the time it all made sense - I needed to find her! I was desperate and determined to get those gifts out of my car.

As they re-told the story I laughed so hard I cried. Truly it was probably one of the funniest and craziest things I have ever made my kids do, but I am sure it won't be the last! I told them it'd give them something fun to remember about their crazy mom. Bless their hearts!


22 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

Oh my sweet friend, we've all had those crazy moments. I've had the leading role as well as been a supporting actress many times.

One thing that struck me as I read your post though....am I that desperate to see Jesus? Would I be unashamed and unafraid to do whatever it takes to find Him? Do I long to find His truths each morning? Do I throw all caution to the wind, and recklessly seek after Him, and draw others along side me in my pursuit of Him?

Questions that have gripped my heart through your post tonight. May your children remember you for being crazy for God as well.

Love ya,
Joy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in third grade, I was sick on Halloween and missed out on trick-or-treating. So, the next night, my brother (17 at the time) got me dressed in my costume and took me took me around our neighborhood! As we knocked on doors, he explained that his little sister was sick last night and he didn't want me to miss out on trick-or-treating! People were more than happy to get rid of their leftover candy and I recieved more than I had EVER before! To this day, I still cannot believe we had the nerve to do that! No wonder I get obsessed with teaching my kids manners! I would just DIE if they ever did something like that! But what a sweet big brother I have!

Blogger Holly said...

This is a funny funny post my friend! I am still smiling thinking about it. It's so you though! One of the most hard-working determined people I've ever known! (And that's a compliment!)
love you,
holly

Blogger Unknown said...

If we can't be determined, then why live?!!

I've got a "in the reverse" kinda story. My 13-year-old has a friend that is male. He had been asking all week if he could talk to me on the phone. I mean the child was determined like Renee was. I kept making excuses because it's just not been a good week and I was not feeling social. That is extremely abnormal for me. I could talk to a tree stump!

Finally last night I gave in. I caved. I asked him how he was doing. Then I asked if he had done his homework. I asked if he knew my daughter was a lunatic and needed mental health care. He said he did. (What?? You need to be honest with people about your (kids) mental state) My daughter was okay with all that. Then I got to the set of questions that made her take the phone from me. I said "Q, do you have a test tomorrow. Have you studied? Did you let your mom quiz you??!!"

That ilicited "Moooooooooooom! Don't ask about his mom qizzing him. That is *not* cool!" Well he seemed okay with it but apparently she was mortified. Wonder if that disqualifies me from ever having to talk to her friends again?

Blogger Alyce said...

Oh Renee..that is too funny and it sounds like something I would do. Actually a couple years ago my sister in law and myself went looking for a certain famous cook's home..when we found it, I stood practically on top of my sis in law's van to take pictures of the house. Then..someone stepped out on the front porch..well, I thought my sis in law was going to drive away w/ me laying on the ground. She jumped back in and I practically dove back into her van and we hauled tail outta there!!
Too funny. I still go by there every year too.

Blogger Paula V said...

Renee,
You had me smiling throughout this especially when you kids described your actions as hilbilly and you realized it was crazy.

I was so hoping for a good ending like you actually catching her that day.

Thanks for sharing. I can tell through visiting your blog these past few weeks that you are a very dear and sweet person.

Oh, I emailed you a week or two ago. If you didn't get it, let me know and I can resend it. Sometimes this email stuff is crazy with marking things as junk or spam.
Blessings,
Paula

Blogger Kathy Schwanke said...

Kids...arent they great when they tell you the bold truth!

Well, when my daughter was 4 we were at a friend's house. They lived on main street and had a river behind the house. She and the friend's daughter were suddenly "missing". I freaked out!! I ran out to the street, nothing. I ran down to the river. Nothing, I ran through the house-the husband was sitting on the couch watching tv-I said DONT YOU CARE?!? He looked at me like I was a psycho crazy woman (which I admittedly was at the time)

Turns out they were next door at the granny's house coloring.

Ugh.

Blogger RefreshMom said...

I'll have to get back to you one that one. My kids are only 2 and 5, so they don't quite get the concept of "Mom, you're so embarrassing" yet (although 5 starts kindergarten in a couple weeks, so I'm sure I'll start being embarrassing by about mid-September). I have a habit of putting embarrassing situations right out of my mind, so while I'm sure I have been quite ridiculous at times, I don't remember!

Blogger JMBMOMMY said...

Wow, what a great fam to go along with you--love how you sat in the car while they were knocking-LOL!

Blogger Bonnelle Pagel said...

I love you Renee! You're so much like me!
My kids laugh & smile at me all the time... I think it just comes with being a MOM & putting up with crazy kids!

Jesus loves you anyway and you know what? They will cherish those memories when they're older... They will be like... "Remember when Mom made us go knocking on doors?!?" and they will laugh and think you're wonderful.

Keep them laughing Renee.. it's a good thing!

Love,
Bonnelle

Blogger LeeBird3 said...

That is just downright hilarious...and it SO sounds like me.....however...my husband would have thrown caution to the wind and would have said, "If you want to go door-to-door...go right ahead...but I'm out!"

I had a situation a few years ago that started off embarrassing and then turned out to be a blessing.

I grew up in a house in the country of Keithville, LA...lived in the same house from birth to graduation. When I was around 21 or 22, my mom sold the house and moved out. It was kind of devastating since it was truly "home" my whole life. Anyway...a few years ago, the boys and I were in town visiting my sister and I decided to drive down the Barron Rd. and show them my old home. It was in the middle of a week day, so I decided to pull into the long driveway and just drive to the house, let them take a peek up close and we'd drive on away. Well...little did I know the new owners were home! Out came the dad. "May I help you?" "Oh...uh...hi! I'm Lee and I grew up in this house...just wanted my boys to have a peek. I'm sorry for trespassing." "Well...come on in!! Are you one of the Walker family? Maybe you could answer a few questions for me." He took us in and I swear we stayed for at least 1/2 hour because they kept taking us from room-to-room. My boys ended up in the garden room playing air hockey." It was so neat to see my bedroom covered in teenage boy posters, guitars, and sports gear. The family turned out to be a Christian homeschooling family...so the dining room had been converted in to a homeschooling spot. While the house looked very different in a lot of ways...it was so great to be "home." The boys were embarrassed at first, but they ended up enjoying the visit and we still talk about it today.

We're cut from the same cloth, my friend. My kids could write a book about my craziness and all the things I've asked them to do over the years.

I'm just weird. Period. Glad to know I'm not alone.

peace~elaine

Blogger Runner Mom said...

I loved this post! Surely you were writing about me! I embarrass my boys all the time--but it keeps them on their toes and eventually, giggling!

I have to share with you that I just finished LEADING WOMEN TO THE HEART OF GOD. Wow! Renee, your chapters spoke volumes to me!! You have no idea how much God used you to speak to my heart. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. I would just love to sit down with you over a glass of sweet tea and talk about Women's Ministry! For now, I'll just reread the book and take notes!!

Love ya,
Susan

Blogger Julie Gillies said...

I can totally relate to your poor kids -I think I would probably rather croak than just randomly knock on people's doors. LOL

Chalk up another hilarious family story to re-tell when you grow old.

Blogger LeAnn said...

I am laughing so hard! I am so glad that you are willing to admit to your crazy antics because it makes me feel not so alone! I get myself into similar situations all the time. Nick says it will come out in therapy one day. He's sure that one day I will embarrass him so much that it will send him over the edge and scar him for life. Maybe we should look into group discounts and see if our boys could attend therapy together!? (We can sit at a Starbucks around the corner while we wait for them.)

Love You,
LeAnn

Blogger Amy L Brooke said...

I read this a couple days ago but I thought of this tonight. I bet Jesus would have gone door to door just to give a present. I'm sure he would have. While I can't imagine doing it, I think He was that determined to bless. While that determination may look "crazy," we are suppose to have that determination too!

And I bet the teacher will be blessed.

Blogger Kelly said...

I know what you mean! I already think about what my kids will tell their counselor about me when they are in therapy!! LOL!!

Okay, hopefully I'm NOT that crazy. But some days....

Oh my gosh! Did you ever get the gifts to her?!?!? You did what you had to do (which was fun for us to read!!). You will laugh for a very long time on this and what a good story on perseverence for your children (not carzyness!).
Too fun Renee! Thanks for sharing!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Blogger MrsProverbs31 said...

Oh Renee, you never cease to make me laugh. What a funny story. I love it. You are truly blessed for trying so hard. I hope she realized how blessed she was to have your son in her class. LOL.

Blogger Jami said...

Renee - that is so funny!! You go girl!! :)

Blogger clee said...

So, did you ever get the gift to her?

Blogger Jackie B Edwards said...

Did the teacher get her gifts?

Post a Comment

Home