What's For Dinner?
Earlier this week when I was feeling down and doubtful, I decided to do something to make me feel better. I wanted to take the emotions that were making me feel like a failure as a speaker and pour them into my most important ministry - being a wife and a mom.

So, I tackled a project I know I can do well. I marched into my laundry room and folded towels, socks and shirts of those I love. Brilliant, huh?

It may sound crazy, but it made me feel better to do something physical, and something that would bless those I love. I guess it helped me to stop thinking about the words of the one who had not "shown me some love" in her criticism.

When I finished the laundry, I knew I needed a challenge so I took on something that is not my strength - the kitchen!

You should probably know that I'm not really fond of cooking. I feel terrible when my kids or JJ ask, "What's for dinner?" and I don't have an answer.

Don't get me wrong, I love to eat. I just think food tastes so much better if someone else cooks it. Often I decide what's for dinner in a hurry at the end of day. (I know this is not an good example for Proverbs 31 but I am still aspiring to be like her and I've got far to go :->)

On this day, being a P31 homemaker was my banner and meal planning was my quest. So, I got out a piece of paper and planned a great menu for the week. Then I went online and ordered groceries and displayed our menu on the family calendar that hangs on the refrigerator. I knew JJ and the boys would love to see what they could anticipate for dinner each night. I was feeling so successful. Who cares if I am not a good speaker? I thought. I may be the next Rachel Ray!

Actually, I had to consult Ms. Rachel Ray because I did not know what type of roast to buy. I didn't want the stringy kind. I think that is pot roast. So I did a search on her website, but I couldn't find an answer. I decided to take a risk and buy what sounded good - a sirloin tip roast.

Here is our magnificent menu for this week:

Monday: Grilled BBQ chicken, rice pilaf and a veggie.
Tuesday: Homemade chilli, crackers, carrots
Wednesday: Andrew/JJ (pizza "guys night out")
Joshua and me (leftover Chilli)
Thursday: Sirloin tip roast, baked potatoes, green beans
Friday: Japanese steak house (gift certificate)

All was going well until this morning when I got the roast out to put in the crock pot. It had strings tied around it's waist. It was so weird. I didn't know whether to keep them on or cut them off. I thought about calling my friend who Lysa affectionately calls gourmet, but I needed to get to work. So, I cut the strings off and hoped for the best.

I put the roast in the crock pot with beef broth, a packet of McCormicK Peppercorn Garlic seasoning, a little water and set it on low. It cooked for 9 hours and oh my did our house smell great when we all got home!!! And it was delish!!!

I was still a little worried about the strings so I talked to the P31 girls at the office. Wendy P. explained that they are for aesthetic purposes to make the roast look better in the packaging. I surmised that it's kinda like those Spanks we wear to make us look better in our packaging.

I love the simple pleasures in life that I take for granted. I love how God can heal my hurts through laundry and menus. I love the sweet scent of His love that surround me this week through the encouragement of friends like you. Thank you so much for your prayers, your perspectives and for taking the time to write me sweet notes and tell me how God has used this very ordinary woman to draw you close to His heart. I love that He knows just what I need when I need it.

Be blessed my friends, you have blessed me this week!


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so great. I have been feeling in such a funk this week! I even asked advice on a What Works for me Wednesday yesterday. I have been trying to cook more this week too and it has felt good. Sometimes, I forget that I am a mom and a wife first and that I am unique to those roles. Almost anyone can fill my roles in ministry or volunteer at school. But the role of mom and wife to my kids and husband - God picked me especially and it did lift my spirits to take care of them this week. I just didn't realize it until I read your post! Thanks for sharing! Janel

Blogger MaryLu said...

You have renewed in me something my Mom always said, that if we get out of ourselves and do something for others, we can more easily get out of our pity party. I've been having one this week and I needed the reminder that self pity is NOT a Proverbs 31 trait.
Thanks.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can never ever go wrong with an "Eye of the Round" roast!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing just fine, girlfriend! Keep up the good work! And the roast sounds delicious!! You'll have to have us moms all over for dinner one night. :)

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

Isn't is amazing how one negative comment can so affect us. I am praying for you Renee, that God uses this to draw you closer into His sweet presence.

Isn't is interesting that when we are hurt we draw back and focus on another area of our life instead. I pray that God gives you confidence in your role as a wife and mother as well as a speaker. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Jodie

Blogger Joanie Butler said...

You go girl! You nailed it! God can and does turn our hearts and feelings around when we serve others, and turning to your most important mission field (your family) to get over those hurtful comments was just the balm your wounded soul needed.

Blogger Laura said...

You are such a sweetheart! It does help heal a hurt to take care of those special little (and big) somebodies that we love. But...chocolate works for me! Oh, all right, New Year's resolutions and all; your plan was better. Bless you for being a good example. Now I better go see if I have anything in the kitchen to make for dinner.

Blogger Melissa Milbourn said...

I can relate to "not being really fond of cooking"! I often jokingly say that when Denny wants a home cooked meal, I take him to Cracker Barrel!

Thanks for sharing your heart Renee!

Blogger Marybeth Whalen said...

Hey Renee-- I am sorry I missed the hurt feelings/Hannah Montana episode! Someone just recently mentioned Seacoast to me today actually-- did you know that Mosaic church here in Charlotte is a plant of their's? Interesting-- before today I had never heard of Seacoast.
And I know all about hurt feelings and wanting to quit!! Ü

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Renee,
What a beautiful lady you must be. I just "discovered" your site and I love it. I hope to read many more of your letters and comments of all the other lovely ladies who take the time to share with us their stories. I am just a country girl from Tennessee who also loves the simple life. I have 2 grown sons and 4 grandkids(l girl, 2 boys)and a wonderful husband of 48 years, come Dec.12th.
I'm an avid reader of Lori Wick and Grace Livingston Hill Books and of course the greatest book of them all, my Bible. Keep up the good work and thanks for letting me "talk" to you a little bit. May God richly bless you and yours in this New Year that's just ahead.
Betty Bailey

Post a Comment

Home