Finding Confidence by Conqering Clutter
Cleaning out the clutter in my kitchen and behind those closed bathroom cabinet doors has been like an energy drink for my soul! Accomplishing what seemed impossible gave me me confidence to take on more!

I took Glynnis' great advice for the area under my bathroom sink and look at the difference it made:


[BEFORE]


[DURING]

[AFTER]
I had almost all of these containers in there already. I just couldn't see them because they were overstuffed with useless stuff! All I had to buy was a large white basket and I still plan to get a little shelf to go over the baskets on the left. Then I'll put the large basket on top of them.

Here are some steps I took and lessons I learned:

De-cluttering our cabinets.

I took everything out and categorized them in piles. Then I disposed of expired medicines and toss bottles of lotion, shampoo and nail polish that were old or almost empty. I only kept products I like and use. I gave or threw the rest away.

Clearing our counters.
It makes it so much easier to get ready in the morning and reduces stress when our bathroom counters are clear. This is also a time save because cleaning is a breeze. The only thing I keep on my counter are things I use every day: my toothbrush, hand soap, ring holder and hairspray. Well the hairspray is just convenient.

Cleaning out stuffed drawers.
I also went through each drawer, took everything out and asked myself, "Do I need this?" "Do I love this?" "Why am I keeping this?" The answer to these questions tell us what we need to do. Either keep it, donate it or toss it. By cleaning out your drawers you will reduce stress and be able to find things you need faster and easier.

Use your wall space.
As Glynnis mention, if you need more storage solutions look to your walls. This is a great way to create storage and reduce clutter on counter tops. Ask yourself is there anywhere I can add a shelf or shelves? Maybe a wall soap dish or toothbrush holder. I read that you can look on eBAY for hotel towel holders. They hold 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 washcloths each.

Make personal bath totes.
If you have limited cabinet space, consider keeping a container to store and transport each member of the families' personal bath items. These personal bath totes can be a small plastic crates, a wicker basket or other small container to hold items neatly. Placing each family members items in their own container makes it easy to store these things under the bathroom sink or in the linen closet until needed.

Create a peaceful retreat setting.
My bathroom tubs and showers used to overflow with bottles of shampoo, conditioner, bath toys and body washes. Do yours? If so, consider getting a shower caddy or basket/bag for the kid's toys. Create a peaceful retreat setting by removing all items you don't use on a daily basis. Then create a spa basket with candles, bath salts or special soaps and a waterproof neck pillow. Schedule one night a week or month to treat yourself to a bubble bath.

So my friend, is there an area in your home that's intimating you? Has your confidence as a woman dwindled under the defeat of clutter?

Don't stay there. You can do this. Let's get determined to let go of excess stuff, rather than finding a place to stuff it. Looking at clutter, walking around clutter or finding another corner to keep our clutter does not make for a confident heart or a peaceful home. And isn't that just what we long for?



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips!

Anonymous allison morrison said...

I, too, am motivated and ready to throw out stuff! I tend to keep stuff that I've never used or worn on the off chance that I may someday use it. I mean, really, if I haven't used it in 9 years I'm probably not gonna!
Thanks for the before and after pics--they are very motivating!

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

It looks great!! I love the questions. That's how I downsized my closet. I didn't buy anything just got rid of stuff and then suddenly I had room for everything =)
I'm trying to post my pics today.

Now on to the pantry.

Blogger Deb said...

Wow, you did a great job. You really motivated me to unclutter some of my problem areas.

Post a Comment

Home