Alternate Routes and Unexpected Blessings
Life took an alternate route today and my kids ended up not having school. Their little Christian school had to evacuate all the kids and staff yesterday when the A/C fan motor burned out and filled the building with smoke and fumes. Thankfully it happened at the end of the day and God protected them from any harm.

As much as I was really looking forward to my normal route - a day of getting things done while they were in school - I have to say that this alternate route lead to some big blessings.

First, I heard Andrew telling Joshua last night that he was so sad they weren't going to have have school today. He then went on to say that he loves his new school and all his new friends. That just made my night!

Also, this afternoon Joshua is part of a caravan of 45 students from his new school who are on a mountain adventure and white water rafting weekend at a Christian Retreat center. He has never gone away like this before and he was really looking forward to it. In fact, I didn't even get a good-bye hug because he just up and left me in the parking lot with the other moms. I know now that I should have grabbed that before we got there :-).

The neatest thing happened on the way to the school this afternoon which wouldn't have happened if they'd had school today. I had to take Joshua to the school later today instead of dropping him off in our normal morning rush and them just leaving after school. On our way we were talking about the trip and about the guys he was going with. Out of the blue he said, "I can't imagine any of them doing or saying anything that would upset me."

Now I know theses kids aren't perfect but to hear my son say that was huge after all that we have been through in sending him to a new school. Such a gift to me as I prepared to send him off with people he barely knows. But I can see why he feels that way. The students (and the teachers) have incredible hearts and have welcomed him in a way that truly reflects the unconditional love and acceptance of Christ.

Isn't it so "God" that in less than two weeks at his new school, which he really didn't want to go to, my 14 year-old son is piled in a van with six new friends and looking forward to a great weekend? Once again, my heart is so grateful for the way He lead our family into unknown places that have already brought unexpected blessings.

I feel the Holy Spirit reminding me today of the doubt and fear we felt when God called us to "do the hard thing" and make this big change. I want to remember what it took to get here because it reminds me that it is my relationship with Christ, the power of His promises and His Spirit working in me to transform my fear to faith, my doubt to courage. I want to look back and see where I was and remember where I end up each time I trust God's heart and follow His lead.

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16 (NIV)


10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet Renee, what a post my friend, what a post! Thanks for encouraging my heart this afternoon.

May there be many more unexpected blessings that God pours out on you and your family!

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca

Blogger Heather said...

AWESOME!

Blogger Julie Gillies said...

I love how God has turned your son's heart, surrounded him with new, loving friends, and caused him to have such a good attitude about this weekend away. I'm sure he'll be blessed.

Our 9th grade daughter, who has been home schooled exclusively, just started high school at a parent-partnered school. (1/2 at school, 1/2 at home). It was a HUGE adjustment, but then she was hospitalized the very first week--then absent for 2 weeks!

But her school sounds a lot like your sons, Renee. Loving, warm, kind students and teachers. We are SO blessed! She already loves it.

Praising God with you!

Blogger Danielle said...

Thank you for posting this, Renee. I really needed to hear this encouragement to trust in God, whether I can see what's up ahead or not... He can and He knows what's best.

Blogger Joyful said...

What a precious reminder that when we can't see His hand we can always trust His heart. Thank you Renee. Our family is blindly walking "unfamiliar paths" right now. Thank you for encouraging my heart with His Word - He will guide, He will turn darkness into light, He will make rough places smooth, He will not forsake us...these are things He will do. I'm loving that word "will". A fixed, determined, persistent intent or purpose. No arguement. It's going to happen. God said it.

Believing Him,
Joy
PS. So thrilled about the adjustment both your boys have made. An answer to prayer.

Blogger Jess said...

YEAH!!!!!!!

I read and reread your post.

:D

Have a (quiet) weekend...

love
jess

Blogger Oh Dear said...

Renee, I am gather scripture for a friend facing a mountain and you had your donation on your post today! THANK YOU!

Blogger Wendi said...

That is so AWESOME! We mad the choice to put our son in a Christian private school 3 years ago. The hardest part for me was convincing my husband to come and look at it and just be open to the idea of private instead of public. Every step of the way God provided immediate and tangible assurance that this was His will. We just put our kindergartner at the same school instead of the public elementary her brother went to. Again, almost daily I received tangible assurance that we made the right choice and it is His will.

I love how he gives us signs as to which path to take and then knows that even after we take the right one we will continue to need His reassurance that we took the right one. He is so good to us.

Blogger Kimberly said...

How awesome, Renee!
One of the things I was praying for Joshua was that he would make some friends quickly. I am so glad he has!

Thanks so much for sharing this testimony of God's faithfulness!
Love to you!
K :)

Love hearing how HE is showing you unexpected blessing through your kids... :)

Post a Comment

Home