Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup for a TeenAgers Soul
There is nothing that says I love you like a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup for my teen-age and tween-age boys. I'll be making some this afternoon since they are home from school for the holiday.

I made this recipe up one day when my kids were asking me to make Grandma's soup. I didn't have grandma's recipe so I created my own - and they loved it!!! Now, it's the thing my friends request when I bring them a meal or have them over to our house in the winter. Here is what I use:

1 - Garlic and Herb Rotisserie Chicken (store-bought)
2 - 14 oz cans of Chicken broth
1 tbsp Oregano
1 tsp parsley
Dozen baby carrots
pinch of celery salt
salt and pepper
water

Making Homemade Broth
I pull all of the meat off the chicken and set it aside. Then I put whatever is left of the chicken (skin, bones and all) in a large pot with 2-3 cups of water, parsley, Oregano, baby carrots and celery salt. I let it come to a boil, then turn the heat down and allow it to simmer for 20-30 mins Watch to make sure the broth only cooks down but doesn't all evaporate.

I drain the homemade broth into a large bowl and set it aside. Sometimes I refrigerate it for an hour so I can skim off the fat, but sometimes I just put it back in the pot and finish the soup.

Putting it all together
In a large soup pot, combine the homemade broth with 2 cans of broth( I use both to make sure it's salty enough), add meat and 4 noodle nests. You can use any kind of noodle, but since Grandma uses noodle nests, I now use noodle nests.

This recipe is so simple. I hope your family and friends enjoy it as much as mine!


8 Comments:

Blogger Marybeth Whalen said...

Thanks Renee for posting this! I know I will be making it soon-- I can't wait! And my kids can't either!

Blogger Casey S. said...

Thank you for the recipe. I'm always up for new ones to try. It sounds wonderful.

Thanks.

Blogger Mary Beth said...

Ooo... thanks for this! I was JUST telling my daughter yesterday that we need to find a good recipe for Chicken Noodle soup.

My daughter will love making it. If her mother made it... it would just go to the dogs... or chickens!

Blogger 4torock said...

Ha just saw this!! didn't go far enough down:) thanks much!!

Blogger Unknown said...

Renee, thanks for the encouragement. I have felt so defeated lately with my children and feeling like I'm not making a difference. I appreciate the new perspective!

Blogger Unknown said...

Renee, thanks for the encouragement. I have felt so defeated lately with my children and feeling like I'm not making a difference. I appreciate the new perspective!

Blogger momof2 said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement and for the recipe. This might sound strange but what's a noodle nest? I've never heard of them before :)

Blogger Unknown said...

If i lived closer, i'd send you some homemade noodles to go with the homemade chicken soup. That's what Mom made for supper tonight!

Post a Comment

Home